Certainly. Studying how to write a novel does not have to be complicated. When you stick to a step by step approach, you can take the complexity of how to write a novel and “dumb it down” to such a basic technique that it becomes virtually like paint by numbers.
Straightforward novel writing is a series of connections. You know, like “the foot bone’s connected to the ankle bone.”
In the case of novel writing, your connections tie a single element of novel preparation and writing with the next. It works like this. You start with your
1. Idea. This is the fundamental idea for your story. For instance, the thought for my novel, Alternate Beauty, was that an obese woman finds herself in an alternate universe exactly where fat is wonderful. This is sort of intriguing, but it’s definitely not enough for a novel. So you have to get started asking
two. Concerns. To flesh out your thought, you need to have to get started asking inquiries. Your seed query requirements to be “What if”. For instance, what if the woman who was in the alternate universe started losing weight. You throw out a bunch of answers to the what if query, and then you pick a single that tickles your fancy and ask another what if query. It goes like this: After the woman begins losing weight, she ends up as unhappy in the new universe as she was in the old. So what if she got fed up with becoming unhappy. Etc. and so forth.
As you work through what if questions, you throw in “Why” inquiries. Why does the lady drop weight? Why is she unhappy?
Preserve stringing these inquiries together and you’ll start to come across your
three. CONFLICT. Conflict comes from a character wanting to get anything and becoming blocked in some way from getting what he or she desires. A fantastic novel tends to make characters’ lives miserable prior to every thing turns out in the finish (either superior or bad). You weave your concerns collectively in a way that reveals your character’s desires and what obstacles stopping him or her from attaining those desires. It’s the conflict that keeps your reader guessing when you maintain creating
4. STORY Queries. Story questions are the secrets you keep from the reader so the reader has concerns in his or her thoughts. You layer the conflict, 1 upon the other, so the reader has to retain reading to satisfy his or her curiosity. All the story questions, when answered at the finish of the novel reflect the
5. THEME. The theme is the central message of the novel–the statement you want to make about the human condition. The theme is the unifying element of every thing you place in your
6. PLOT. Plot is the story–the culmination of conflict and story query. It really is not just what occurs in the novel but why what happens is compelling. Plot is compelling when it is driven by life-like
7. CHARACTERS. Characters are the people today in your story. Feel of them as the train that carries your plot along. Characters only carry along a plot in a compelling way when they have clear
eight. MOTIVATION. Motivation is the psychological and experiential explanation for why your characters do what they do. Once you have a central motivation for every single primary character, they are ready to be placed in
9. SETTINGS. นิยาย are the location of your novel. You can make terrific settings and fill your novel with other compelling information when you do your
10. Investigation. Analysis will answer all the detail queries, and if you do it suitable you’ll have a excellent balance of sufficient data and not also much to bog down the story. When you have accomplished your investigation you can build
11. SCENES. A scene is a particular chunk of the story, a single that is its personal closed loop. Every single excellent scene has a objective and it leads to the next fantastic scene. When you put scenes with each other nicely, you make excellent
12. PACING. Pacing is the rhythm of the novel. You take the reader for a thrill-ride, and then you slow factors down. Speed up, slow down. The story questions you produced when you plotted is what assists build the speed flow. When you have your novel paced effectively, you are ready to create a
13. QUERY. The query is the one particular to two page letter necessary to submit to an agent or editor. When you write it before you draft your book, it embeds your theme and central plot in your thoughts. It also assists you create the
14. SYNOPSIS. A synopsis is a narrative outline of the novel, told in a compelling way but placing all necessary facts in a concise package of only ten to 30 pages or so. If you can put your story in this space, you are going to locate it incredibly easy to then take the skeleton of the story, fill it in with the meat of your scene cards and write a magnificent very first
15. DRAFT. The draft of your story is the organic result of all the connections that have come just before. It’s basically sitting at the pc and using all the components you have made to spill the story onto the web page. When it’s there, you can
16. REWRITE to polish the words to pristine perfection. Then you’re prepared for
17. SUBMISSION. Submission is straightforward when you’ve completed all the other work. You already have a query, synopsis, and polished manuscript. So you just want to hit Writer’s Marketplace and locate a list of agents or editors to whom to send your query. When the agent or editor asks for extra, you are going to send the synopsis and ultimately the draft, and one day you are going to get the contact telling you that you have created a
18. SALE. This is when you scream and jump about and go out and acquire your favored meal and then be annoyingly perky for weeks on end.
And just like that, you’ve produced a novel readers will love. All since you followed a paint-by-numbers program for how to write a novel.